Friday, September 14, 2012

There's a Crab in the Bathroom


Anthony and I have been in Nicaragua now for a little over a week.  In some ways it seems like forever because the difference between life in the U.S. and Nicaragua is so different.  In other ways it seems like just a week, because although we’ve come a long way in just a few days we have a lot more to figure out. 

I’ve titled this post “There’s a Crab in the Bathroom” because that literally happened to me.    One day at Aqua resort I went to the bathroom and heard this rustling.  All of a sudden this crab, with his pinchers up, speeds from one corner to the other and behind the toilet.  It startled me at first, but I know these black, purple and orange colored crabs are harmless.  However, this experience is a good way to describe our experiences here.  An ordinary, everyday occurrence like going to the bathroom is not a normal experience here in Nicaragua.  In our hotel room we often have little geckos on the wall (one likes to hang out in the bathroom) and they do alarm me at times.  They also like to chirp at night.   A few nights ago I was walking back to our room from the kitchen.  It was dark and I heard a lot of stomping.  Sure enough four horses were being rowdy near the entrance of the building.  Fortunately my presence showed them away and they then decided to graze near our room door.

When you are in a different culture or even a different part of the country you have to have great deal of patience and no expectations.  In a country, such as Nicaragua, where the people operate at a different pace and the lack of modernization makes things slower or even impossible, you have to just roll with the punches.  Anthony and I are learning to take things as they come, change “our plans” and just make do with what we have or don’t have.  We are learning to make food with few utensils and ingredients.  I’m learning to not worry about the constant layer of dust and various critters in our hotel room.  I’m learning to try and dress a little differently or pack extra clothes because I sweat so much.  Wearing foundation is pointless.  We leave earlier now on our commute to Aqua because of the water and mud that covers the road and the herd of cows in the way.  Sometimes a meeting Anthony has scheduled won’t happen for another hour and we have to sit and wait.  The internet may go out completely or our electricity may flick off for a while.  I can’t get upset.  This is life in a third world country. 

I definitely miss many things we so often take for granted in America, and I’ve only been away for 8 days.  I’ll spare you the long list, but one thing is cold water and the ease and convenience of an American kitchen.  One of the hardest things I especially am dealing with is the feeling of isolation.  I miss family and friends and the ability to pick up a cell phone and talk to someone or send a text.  I miss church and Christian community.  We are listening to podcasts and having our own church here, but even if we had the ability to drive somewhere to go to church, it’s really hard when you don’t speak the language.  Even for Anthony, who can speak and understand Spanish well, the barriers in communicating and understanding can be very isolating. 
Some of the animals around and the biggest tree I've ever seen.


Living accommodations at Hotel Brio
.

Through it all Anthony and I are learning a lot.  We are thankful for being able to have this experience together and know it will continue to be a growing time for us as individuals and as a couple.  Even though something unexpected may happen, like a crab in the bathroom or water covering the road, with God’s help and working together, we can get through a scare, problem or inconvenience.

Thank you so much for your prayers, messages and encouragement.  They mean more to me then you realize.  I have felt the support and strength of God’s hands carrying me through each day and sometimes each moment.  There is a confidence and peace amidst the unknown.  This comes only through my Savior and Redeemer and the prayers of His people.  

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you Lynsey! What an amazing lady you are. You and Anthony will have great adventures. Keep looking to Christ... He is all you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a link to your blog from your Facebook page. I'll be praying for you and Anthony. I'm sure this season in life is overwhelming at times, but your willingness to adapt to the culture instead of making the culture adapt to you will serve you well (as you already know). I'll be back to read more of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete