Saturday, September 8, 2012

Culture Shock

The personal disorientation a person may feel when experiencing an unfamiliar way of life due to immigration or a visit to a new country, or to a move between social environments.  Yes, that sounds about right.  I thought I experienced culture shock moving to Philadelphia, which I did, but if someone offered to take me the 2 ½ hours to the airport this moment I would be packed in 10 minutes and on my way back to America.  It has been rough.
It’s not like I have no overseas experience.  I have been on 3 mission’s trips and we did go on our honeymoon here in Nicaragua.  However, I’ve realized that in all of those experiences someone else took care of showing us where to go and not to go, and providing for basic necessities, like food.  This is a whole different ball game.  Not to mention getting answers in a very laid back society where people typically do not think about where their next meal will come from is extremely frustrating. 
Where do I begin?  We are staying in a hotel that is rented out for workers of the resort Anthony is interning for (Aqua Wellness Resort-Nicaragua).  Hotel Brio is about a 20 minute walk down rough roads from the resort.  As far as I can see we are the only non-Nicas living in this hotel.  There are a few Americans in houses owned by the hotel.  Our room is nice and fairly clean, but the AC doesn’t work, some of the lighting is out, the locked drawers don’t work (which it is muy importante to lock up our valuables) and our sink is semi-plugged.  We share a large kitchen with the other workers, which we have and will enjoy the opportunity to get to know them while making food.   Many of them speak English.  However, this is not an American kitchen, and because of that Anthony and I are a bit hesitant to use what few appliances and utensils they have and ingest what we can't see.  I’m sure you can guess what I’m saying.  
The biggest issue upon arriving is how do we get food?  The power bars we packed can only go so far and you cannot of course drink the tap water.   We’ve definitely managed, but in order to get some fresh food that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg we found we have to catch rides with other workers to the nearest town, Rivas. This can be a bit tricky when you are new.
Anthony’s internship responsibilities are also a bit muddy.  We met the GM of Aqua for 3 hours.  He’s a nice older Dutch guy who loves to tell stories….and another story….and another story.  We sat so long in the same spot on Friday my feet and toes swelled up.  That has literally never happened to me before.  In the end we got a general idea of where to start and found out Gerardo is not too fond of “trainees” he calls them.  We hope to prove to him that his experience with us however will prove to be valuable for Aqua. 
If I’m seeming to be a bit negative about our experience so far I’m not trying to be.  I am trying to paint a realistic picture of what it is like to go and try and figure out life in a culture that operates pretty much completely opposite from what you are used to.  I will tell you it is absolutely beautiful here.  While I know I’m going to miss many things about America I am appreciating the diverse beauty in God’s creation.  I’m sitting atop a hill right now looking at the Pacific Ocean, which is a five minute walk away, and watching cows wonder around the pool.  Which I found today is safe enough to swim in.  Yay!  On our walk to Aqua early this morning we watched a wood pecker, saw a unique looking squirrel and watched five mono congos (howler monkeys) play in the trees and howl when cars went by.  I’m sure once we get things figured out we’ll be able to fully enjoy the beautiful landscape and the ocean.  I’m looking forward to that.

Until then we are doing our best to stay positive and stay cool.  I have lots more to share, but that can wait until another time.  We are taking one small step at a time and learning to have lots of patience.  I miss you all very much and covet your prayers.  I'll try and post some pictures soon.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds intense! You are really being stretched -- what an experience :) Thanks for taking the time to blog....it is neat to hear about what you're experiencing PLUS your readers will know better how to pray for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Lynsey!

    The initial shock will ease a bit as you gather up the last shreds of your courage and keep facing it all head on. Believe it or not, there are beautiful treasures hidden in there somewhere . . . they may be small, they may be VERY well hidden, but they are there! Praying that you and Anthony start to find them!

    Keep sharing on your blog . . . the good, the bad, and the ugly . . . it's cheaper than therapy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your blogs- they are super! You are experiencing so much and articulating it so well!! Reading your blogs brings me back to my first weeks in Guyana...so disorienting and so stretching. Praying for you both and confident that His power within you will accomplish the things He has called you to.

    ReplyDelete